If you’re in the spring cleaning mode, you’re not alone! There is one very important component of keeping your home comfortable throughout the spring and summer in Columbus, Ohio that shouldn’t be ignored – your air conditioning equipment! Hubbs Heating & Air has put together a short list of some tips for you to consider as you’re getting prepared for the warm weather ahead:
1. Check your air-conditioning and heating equipment before the beginning of a new season. Switch your system to “cool” mode before the first hot day arrives. Waiting for a hot day to find out your unit is not working properly is never fun.
2. Winter can take a toll on your HVAC system. Check and replace your filters to start the season off right. This will also help when allergy season arrives.
3. Check around the outdoor part of your unit. Trim back any shrubbery and plants, and remove any miscellaneous items from around the unit to make sure that the air can flow through the screens unimpeded. Additionally, you should check out the drainage hole on the unit. This hole should be clear of dirt or debris so that condensation can drain from it. Use a paperclip, screwdriver, or wire to make sure that the drainage pipe or hole is clear.
4. Test CO and smoke detectors. It is a great time to remember to check the batteries and operation of these safety devices at the beginning of every season.
5. Check your ceiling fans. In the summer, ceiling fan blades should rotate in a counterclockwise or “forward” direction to create cool downward airflow.
6. While you can do these basic things to help maintain your system, you should call a professional each spring to check your unit and make sure that it is working properly. This appointment will lengthen the life of your unit and improve the unit’s efficiency.
In addition to these tips, you may want to sign up for a maintenance plan with Hubbs Heating & Air to save some cash and keep your home pleasant. Call us in the Columbus, Ohio area today and schedule your appointment!